City of Katy
In the mid-1800s Katy was known as Cane Island. Named for the creek that still runs through the area (now a branch of Buffalo Bayou).The creek was filled with cane presumed to have been planted for fur trapping by earlier residents. In the middle of the flat coastal prairie – this 'island' of cane was surrounded by an ocean of tall grass; thus the area became known as Cane Island. The trail from Harrisburg to San Antonio, known as the San Felipe Road, ran right through it.
In 1945 the City of Katy was incorporated as a municipality. Boundaries were determined by finding the area that contained the most residents and was reasonably sized so that it could be managed by city services. The City of Katy is now the anchor for the greater Katy area, defined by the boundaries of 181 sq mi (470 km2). Katy Independent School District.
The opening of IH-10 in 1966 allowed for rapid development of the area as Houston expanded westward. The city has grown to a population of approximately 15,000 residents who enjoy state of the art support and services. Almost 270,000 people live in the Katy area, which has won national accolades for growth and sustainability.
In 2009 the Gadberry Group named Katy as one of nine "9 from 2009" most notable high growth areas in the United States